Sunday, September 13, 2009

South Winds & Marigolds

Marigolds in full bloom. No rain and above 20 C highs non-stop since mid-August, and more of the same in the forecast. Steady south winds have drained the rain barrels down and driving the grass into dormancy (haven't watered grass).

Above, left to right: Fordhook Giant Swiss Chard, dill, marigolds, kale, poppy, more dill, carrots, brussels sprouts.

Above: Prairie Pride Tomatoes ripening fast, waning Lincoln/Homesteader Peas (behind) drying out.

2 comments:

jen said...

Any tips on growing brussel sprouts in Calgary? (ie timing on starting etc..)

Jo said...

Hi Jen, thanks for checking out the blog. I don't have any specific advice on the Brussels Sprouts beyond the typical advice you would find in a general gardening book. I find the plants take up a lot of room and don't produce a lot of food compared to some other plants.

I am transitioning to food producing perennials from annuals as I find the food to work ratio better in general with perennials (such as raspberries, strawberries, herbs, rhubard, asparagus, etc.). I do like having some annual veggies though. If I could somehow work from home and manage the garden on the side, I would grow more annuals.